The Sound Designer's Dream
UltraNova is our most advanced, configurable and controllable synth, designed to create new, unique and edgy sounds, plus all the classics you'd expect from a Nova-series synth.
“Whether you want to expand your tones, need a centerpiece for your computer production rig, or seek a flexible combination controller/interface/tone module, the UltraNova will please, both aesthetically and logistically.”
“With a powerful synth engine, built-in vocoder and effects, audio interface, and VST integration, the UltraNova is an excellent option for anyone looking to step outside of the box.”
“...an extremely powerful, fabulous sounding synthesizer with features not found on anything else at a price point that's very difficult to resist.”
Create Truly Unique Sounds
This is our most ambitious synth to date. It takes our legendary SuperNova analogue-modelling synth engine, and enhances it to vastly increase its sonic capabilities. The result is a synth that can create sounds that are simply impossible with other synths in its class.
- Three oscillators, noise and ring modulation for making your sounds as rich as possible.
- Classic waveforms and cutting edge wavetables for creating classic and unique new sounds.
- Two routable multi-mode filters for flexible sound sculpting.
- 6 Envelopes, 3 LFOs and 20 slot modulation matrix for almost unlimited programming capabilities.
- 18-voice polyphony for playing complex synth lines and chords.
The Sound Designer's Dream
UltraNova sounds great with the very simplest of patches, but also gives you intuitive hands-on control over the powerful synth engine for deep and complex sound editing. Alter your sounds however you like, then shape them to perfection with 5-way multi-FX processor.
The powerful modulation matrix lets you connect any source to whatever you like, so you can create almost any sound you can imagine. Don't worry if sound editing isn't your thing; we'll also send you regular soundpack updates, with loads of new sounds to inspire you.
...it has immediately become an indispenable part of my stage set-up. It's so portable and light, but delivers really heavy bass sounds, which is what I primarily use it for - perfect for touring and playing live.
Gus Unger-Hamilton, Keys - Alt-J
Touch n' Tweak
UltraNova's patches are more than just static presets. Each is set up with up to eight parameters, which can be tweaked or totally warped using touch-sensitive encoders. Tweak to alter the brightness or dial in some grit, or touch to trigger subtle movement in your sound, or seriously warp it into something completely different.
“The fact that someone with little or no synthesis knowledge can build their own patches with relative ease will make this a great investment for those thinking of buying their first hardware synth.”
“Given its all-roundre status, the UltraNova is a very sensible buy, particularly if you don't own much other gear or plan on investing in much more in the future.”
“First and foremost, the sound this synthesizer is wonderful. // All in all, this glorious synth comes highly recommended.”
Trust Your Sound
The UltraNova synth engine is the result of synth design experience and expertise spanning five decades.
Create Truly Unique Sounds
Create just about any sound you can think of, using three oscillators, an 18 voice synth engine, wavetable synthesis and multiple modulation options.
Shape Complex Sounds
Create and edit complicated sounds using hands-on controls and a wide, easy-to-read LCD screen.
Add depth to your sounds, and sculpt them to perfection using reverb, delay, chorus, distortion and more.
Touch n' Tweak
Instantly tweak or totally warp your sound using eight touch-sensitive encoders and a dedicated filter knob.
An Italian-made, 37-note Fatar keyboard, with aftertouch and a level of quality that players will instantly appreciate.
Simple Audio Streaming
UltraNova has a built in Audio Interface. Record your synth sound direct to your DAW via the USB cable. No audio cables needed.
One Cable for Everything
Use a single USB cable for power, audio and MIDI I/O. It's ideal for a compact studio setup, and way less hassle on stage too.
Synthesise with Your Voice
Combine the power of the UltraNova engine with an integrated 12-band vocoder and included gooseneck mic, to be musical or experimental with your voice.
Easily Edit Patches
Save, manage and easily edit your patches, with the comprehensive yet intuitive VST and AU plug-in editor and standalone librarian.
Keep Your Sound Fresh
Stay inspired with our regular free soundpacks, which you can download right here.
Novation // Thavius Beck: UltraNova and Launchpad
LA-based electronic musician Thavius Beck performs live with Novation UltraNova, Launchpad and Ableton Live, and talks us through how his set up lets him easily build up song ideas and experiment live, without ever pressing stop.
Ultranova In Depth
Product Hardware Specifications
- 144 character LCD
- 8x detented touch sensitive encoders
- 1x large smooth encoder (with back-lit filter lock buttons)
- 1x large patch select/speed dial encoder
- 2x volume & monitor mix dials
- 39 LED lit/indicated buttons
- Pitch wheel (LED lit)
- Modulation wheel (LED lit)
- 37 note keyboard with velocity and aftertouch
- XLR dynamic mic input
- 2x ¼” jack inputs
- 2x ¼” jack outputs
- 2x ¼” jack aux outputs
- 1x ¼” jack headphone output
- SPDIF digital output on RCA connector
- Expression pedal on ¼” jack input
- Sustain pedal on ¼” jack input
- MIDI in/out/thru
- 12 volt power input
- USB port (UltraNova can be powered via USB)
- Kensington security slot
USB Audio Interface
- 2 in, 4 out soundcard
- 44.1 / 48kHz at 16 or 24 bit to host
- 44.1 / 48kHz at 16 bit from host (if you select 24 bit from host, audio
- data is limited by the driver to 16 bit playback)
- Dynamic range : - 98dB
- Input 1 + 2 frequency response : 20Hz to 20kHz +/- 1dB
- Gain rage : -10 to + 65dB
- THD+N = 0.002%
- Maximum output level +6dBu
- signal to noise ratio referenced to 0dBFS (+6 dBu) = 96dB
- Noise EIN = 117dB
- Input 1 - balanced XLR & balanced TRS 1/4"jack
- Input 2 - balanced TRS 1/4" jack only
- Up to 18 note polyphony (dynamic voicing)
- 3x oscillators
- 1x noise generator
- 2x ring modulators
- Square, sine, tri, sawtooth, pulse, 9x saw:pulse combinations
- 20x digital waveforms
- 36x wavetables
- 2x filters per patch
- low pass no resonance 6dB per octave
- low pass 12dB
- low pass 18dB
- low pass 24dB
- band pass 6:6
- band pass 6:12
- band pass 12:6
- band pass 6:18
- band pass 18:6
- band pass 12:12
- high pass no resonance 6dB per octave
- high pass 12dB
- high pass 18dB
- high pass 24dB
- 20 modulation slots per patch
- 6x envelope generators
- 3x LFOs
- Key scaling/track
- Mod wheel
- Expression pedal
Total of 66 Destinations including
- Oscillator pitch, pulse width, wavetable index, level and sync
- Filter cutoff, resonance, envelope settings
- Effects parameters and send levels
- Recursive modulation (modulating modulation sources themselves)
5 effects slots per patch
- Distortion – up to 2 instances
- Compressor – up to 2 instances
- Chorus/Phase – up to 4 instances
- Delay – up to 2 instances
- Reverb – up to 2 instances
- 12 band vocoder
- Arpeggiator – 33 patterns
- Chord function – lock up to 10 notes
- Patch storage - up to 512 on hardware (ships with 300 factory patches)
- USB bus powered
- 12V DC power supply included
- Maximum power consumption 12V DC 400mA
- 725mm (28.54”) length x 374mm (14.72”) depth x 152mm (5.98”) height
(These are the boxed dimensions)
OS compatibilty not relevant for this product range/type