Small Just Got Bigger
MiniNova is our compact studio and live synth with the same sound engine as its big brother, UltraNova. It comes with 256 incredible onboard sounds that you can easily browse, tweak live or totally warp at the touch of a button.
Small Synth, Big Sound
Don't let its size fool you; MiniNova has the same incredibly powerful sound engine and synth effects as our signature UltraNova. That means you can still create all the dirty-fat bass synth sounds, soaring leads, lush pads and vintage sounds you could possibly want - but on a compact 37 mini-key synth.
Tough, compact and portable, it also hooks up to external sound modules and larger keyboards via the MIDI I/O, so you can always add even more controls and keys if you feel the need.
Create Classic Vocals
Do something totally unique with your voice: try running it - or any of your instruments - through MiniNova's effects engine. Add reverb, distortion, chorus/phase, gate, compression or EQ - whatever you need to create attention-grabbing vocals, or recreate iconic vocal lines.
Of course, when it comes to creating really interesting vocal lines, MiniNova comes with a secret weapon: VocalTune. This lets you talk into the mic and play the tune you want your voice to follow on the keyboard, so you can easily recreate iconic vocal lines.
...I immediately thought 'wow, this is amazing'. This little instrument has such a big sound and I use the vocoder a lot. It sounds so different from the other vocoders I use, and that's what makes it so unique..
Teddy Riley, Producer - Michael Jackson, Keith Sweat, Blackstreet
Choose Your Sound
MiniNova comes with 256 killer sounds, space to save another 128 of your own onboard, and a Patch Librarian for storing an infinite number of extra sounds on your computer (or several million, at least).
That's a lot of choice, but you can easily search through them by selecting the style of music you're making or the type of sound you're after. Bass synth? Lead? Hip-hop? Techno? Whatever you're looking for, there's probably a perfect sound on there somewhere. If not, we're always releasing new free soundpacks for MiniNova, which we create with renowned artists and sound designers.
Editing software included
You can fully edit MiniNova using the hardware, but it can be a bit overwhelming. That's why we've created the MiniNova Editor: software that gives you visual access to your synth engine within your music software or DAW, to make it much easier to see what you're doing.
“A great value synthesiser that punches well above its weight and price point.”
“A new micro synth with superstar potential.”
“This is definitely worth the purchase; as a producer would instantly excel you from a MiniNova to a Bossanova in the music production game.”
G Style Magazine
“Whether you're playing live or sound-building in the studio, at this price point, MiniNova can only be thoroughly recommended.”
“...impressive sonic weaponry.”
Sound on Sound
Animate and Arpeggiate
Switch to 'Animate' mode and press one of the eight backlit buttons to trigger awesome performance functions.
Switch to 'Arpeggiator' mode to jam with arpeggiator rhythms in realtime, using the buttons to edit the arpeggiator step sequencer so you can switch steps in and out.
Warp Your Sound
Get instant access to 24 sound-bending parameters, by banking four knobs between six different positions to access your synth and effects engines.
Check out what happened when we showed MiniNova to a selection of high profile artists and producers on a recent tour of North America.
UltraNova Sound Engine
Our signature Nova-series synth-engine, capable of creating and editing massive sounds with up to 18 voices and powerful effects.
Create robotic and iconic vocals, or run your instruments through the effects engine.
Tweak and Warp Sounds Live
Tweak your sounds in realtime with five knobs, or totally warp them eight 'Animate' buttons and oversized pitch and modulation wheels.
256 Awesome Onboard Sounds
Instantly search for sounds by type or musical genre, from bass to pad, hip hop to house. Store another 128 of your own sounds onboard, too.
Layer Your Effects
Add up to five effects to each voice, including distortion, reverb, chorus/phase, delay, compressor, EQ and our very own gater 'stutter' effect
Editing Software and Patch Librarian
Fully edit your synth and effects, and store as many sounds as you can fit on your Mac or PC.
Vintage Synth and Bass
Download regular free soundpacks created by eminent artists and sound designers.
Trigger Software Instruments
Trigger external sound modules and connect larger keyboards, via the MIDI I/O.
How to Select Sounds in MiniNova
This video gives you an overview of MiniNova's preloaded sounds, and show you how to preview, edit and affect them.
It also demonstrates the arpeggiator's sequence buttons and powerful filter controls.
How to Use MiniNova's Vocoder and VocalTune
This video shows you how to use MiniNova's onboard Vocoder, VocalTune and the powerful effects,
For more tutorials, check out www.youtube.com/NovationTV
Product Hardware Specifications
Utility, display and patch select controls
- 16 character custom LCD
- 1x large detented patch select encoder
- 1x patch sort switch
- 1x volume dial
- 1x detented data encoder
- 5x navigation/utility buttons
- 2x patch navigation buttons
- Pitch wheel (LED lit)
- Modulation wheel (LED lit)
- 37 note keyboard with velocity
- 4x smooth edit/performance pots
- 1x large smooth filter pot
- 1x six position parameter selector switch
- 6x parameter indicator LEDs
- 8x three-colour, back-lit animate/arpeggiator/favourite patch-select buttons
- 2x animate/arpeggiate LED indicators
- 1x back-lit 'hold' button
- 1x animate/arpeggiator/favourite patch toggle switch
- 1x 'favourite' patch select button
- 1x arpeggiator tempo control pot
- 1x arpeggiator tempo indicator LED
- 2x back-lit arpeggiator control encoders
- 2x back-lit octave select buttons
Inputs, Outputs, rear panel
- XLR dynamic mic input
- 1x ¼” jack inputs
- 2x ¼” jack outputs
- 1x ¼” jack headphone output
- Sustain pedal on ¼” jack input
- MIDI in/out
- 12 volt power input
- USB/DC/off power switch
- USB port (MiniNova can be powered via USB)
- Kensington security slot
- Up to 18 note polyphony (dynamic voicing)
- 3x oscillators
- 1x noise generator
- 2x ring modulators
- Square, sine, tri, sawtooth, pulse, 9x saw:pulse combinations
- 20x digital waveforms
- 36x wavetables
- 2x filters per patch
- low pass no resonance 6dB per octave
- low pass 12dB
- low pass 18dB
- low pass 24dB
- band pass 6:6
- band pass 6:12
- band pass 12:6
- band pass 6:18
- band pass 18:6
- band pass 12:12
- high pass no resonance 6dB per octave
- high pass 12dB
- high pass 18dB
- high pass 24dB
- 20 modulation slots per patch
- 6x envelope generators
- 3x LFOs
- Aftertouch (Supported in the engine. Note, keyboard does not generate aftertouch)
- Key scaling/track
- Mod wheel
- Expression pedal
Total of 66 Destinations including
- Oscillator pitch, pulse width, wavetable index, level and sync
- Filter cutoff, resonance, envelope settings
- Effects parameters and send levels
- Recursive modulation (modulating modulation sources themselves)
5 effects slots per patch
- Distortion – up to 2 instances
- Compressor – up to 2 instances
- Chorus/Phase – up to 4 instances
- Delay – up to 2 instances
- Reverb – up to 2 instances
- 12 band vocoder
- Arpeggiator – 33 patterns
- Realtime Arp rhythm editing function
- Chord function – lock up to 10 notes
- Patch storage - up to 384 on hardware (ships with 256 factory patches)
- USB bus powered
- 9V DC power supply included
- Maximum power consumption 9V DC 300mA
- 560mm (22.04”) length x 250mm (9.84”) depth x 75mm (2.95”) height