Bass Station II
The analogue monosynth reborn
Nothing out there sounds this warm, fat and dirty. Bass Station II is our pure analogue monosynth. We based it on our classic Bass Station, then enhanced every area to make it even bigger, angrier and more versatile.
It has two tuneable oscillators, a sub-oscillator for enormous bass, plus noise and ring modulation. It also gives you two distinct analogue filter types: the classic multi-mode filter and a new acid filter, for a massive variation in sonic possibilities.
Hear Bass Station II in Action
Best Value Award 2013
Editor's Choice Award
Platinum Award, Best for Lead/Best for Live
10 Best Mono Synths
15 of the Best Affordable Hardware Synths - 3rd
Excellence (10/10), Value, Gear of the Year "Best Synth" Buyers Guide: Six of the Best - Keyboard Synths (Best: Mono)
Best in Gear: Mono Synths
Much More Than Bass
This synth can sound as mellow or aggressive as you want. Seek out sweet spots with the filter mod to make it sing. Crank the distortion and it will growl with pent up anger. Push the resonance to self oscillation to create shrieking leads. Bass Station II can sound however you feel.
Easy Controls for Complex Design
We put as many controls as possible onto Bass Station II, so you can totally lose yourself in discovering and creating new sounds. Of course, we also laid out all those controls in the clearest and most useful way, to keep sound design as straightforward and fun as possible.
It sounds really great, and it's simple to use. What can I say? it's a wonderful machine!
Tom Furse, Synthesist - The Horrors
Save and Load Patches
We loaded Bass Station II with 64 diverse patches that showcase its huge sonic variation. We also left 64 slots free, so you can easily save and load your own patches on the unit, or in the free librarian software.
Bass Station II's pattern-based arpeggiator and step sequencer are a fun and immediate way to find new inspiration. The sequencer lets you record your own notes, ties, rests and rhythms in real time, then store them, recall them and use them with any patch you like. Easily and automatically sync them to your music software or hardware setup, or even add swing to get your groove going.
“The Bass Station 2 is a worthy successor to the legendary original model, retaining its straightforward ethos and resolutely old school spirit while feeling decidedly up to date as well.”
“One of the best all-rounders on the market.”
“The Bass Station II is the rebirth of a legend that has been worth the 20-year wait and is destined to be an integral part of many big records in the months and years to come.”
“With its excellent control set, easy programmability, USB connectivity, attractive price, and soul-shattering sound, the Bass Station II will make you forget about the good ol' days and love living in the now.”
“An exceptional synth... It's stunning, simple as that.”
“Put simply, the instrument is a true workhorse. It has every function you'd want from a one-channel monosynth... Perhaps it'd be silly to recommend that if you only own one outboard synth, you should make it this one. But when a tool is this well designed for its purpose, it's difficult not to.”
“I reckon Novation have a winner!”
Sound on Sound
Connect to Just About Anything
Bass Station II is fully class compliant, so you can plug into anything via USB and start playing. It also has MIDI I/O on 5 pin din ports, so you can connect your other MIDI gear. You can even connect an external instrument and run it through Bass Station II's analogue filter and effects.
Producer Series Vol.1 Soundpack
This collection of unique analogue sound patches was created for us by world class synth producers from our eclectic artist and producer community.
Whether you’re creating dance, funk, electronica, indie, pop or something totally experimental, these 46 Patches will add true analogue depth to your music. You will need to download and install the librarian to load the patches.
Create a huge variety of sounds
Two pure analogue, sync-able and tuneable oscillators with four selectable waveforms, plus a third sub-oscillator, noise and ring modulation.
Enormous bass and shrieking leads
Switch the multi-mode Classic Filter between low, hi and band pass with 12 and 24dB slopes.
Improved analogue filter stage
A 24dB Acid Filter that is even darker, wetter and smoother than the Classic.
Turn Jekyll to Hyde
Create crunchy, aggressive sounds with fully analogue distortion, filter-modulation effects and a separate filter overdrive.
Easily load and save patches
Comes with 64 patches that cover a huge range of styles, but you can create, save, archive and swap 64 of your own too.
Get instant inspiration
Record notes, ties, rests and rhythms in real time using the step sequencer and arpeggiator, then easily store them, recall them and use them with any patch you like.
Get your hands on loads of controls, cleverly arranged for intuitive patch design and sound editing.
Triangle, sawtooth and square LFO waveforms, as well as sample and hold, and two ADSR envelopes for filter, pitch and pulse width modulation.
Connect to hardware and software
Connect and sync to your music software and MIDI-compatible hardware.
Full sized 25-note) velocity-sensitive keyboard, with a fast synth-action and aftertouch.
Store unlimited sounds
Keep as many patches as you like on your Mac or PC using the Librarian Software.
Bass Station II In Depth
Product Hardware Specifications
Hardware & controller assignment
- 25 note synth-action keyboard
- Aftertouch can be assigned to modulate:
- Filter frequency
- LFO 1to Osc pitch
- Osc 2 speed
- Pitch wheel
- Modulation wheel can be assigned to:
- LFO 2 to filter frequency
- LFO 1 to Osc pitch
- Osc 2 pitch
- Octave up/ down buttons
- 64 factory presets
- 64 slots for user patches (and patch dump facility for storing more)
- Master volume dial
Inputs and Outputs
- USB MIDI (for connecting & powering Bass Station II via host computer)
- Mono output on 1/4" TRS jack
- Headphone output on 1/4" TRS jack
- External input on 1/4" TRS jack
- Sustain pedal input on 1/4" TS jack
- MIDI IN / MIDI OUT ports on 5 pin din
- DC power input
- Switch between power off / DC powered / bus powered
- Osc 1
- Osc 2
- Sub Osc (3)
- Noise generator
Osc 1 & 2
Select between waveforms:
- square/variable pulse width
- Sync 1 & 2
- Octave range
- Pitch bend
- Pitch modulation from Mod Envelope and/or LFO 1
- Pulse width modulation from Mod Envelope and/or LFO 2
Sub Osc (3) which is tracked to Osc 1
Select independently between waveforms:
- Narrow pulse
- All modulation and tuning tracked to Osc 1
- Independent octave select
- Osc 1 level
- Osc 2 level
- Sub Osc level
- Noise generator level
- Ring modulation depth
- External signal level
Two filter types
- Acid type (diode ladder filter design)
- Classic type (derived from original Bass Station)
- Filter frequency to Mod Envelope depth
- Filter frequency to LFO 2 depth
Select 'Classic' filter between:
- Low pass
- Band pass
- High pass
- 12dB slope
- 24dB slope
Two ADSR Envelopes (Attack/Decay/Sustain/Release)
- Amp Envelope
- Mod Envelope
- Combined control of both Envelopes
Select triggering mode between:
- Single trigger (holds envelope state when new note is played)
- Multi trigger (re-triggers with every new note played)
- Autoglide (engages portamento)
There is also a VCA limiter
Two LFOs each selectable between:
- Sample and hold
- Both LFOs independently adjustable between rate and delay time
- Key sync LFO 1 & 2
- LFO slew on LFO 1& 2 (low pass filter on the LFO waveform)
- Distortion send
- Oscillator filter mod amount (FM effect created by Oscillator 2 modulating filter freq)
- Up to 32 different patterns
- Select between 1-4 octave range
- Swing function
- Select direction:
- up / down 1
- up / down 2
- As played
- Latch (hold the arpeggiator)
- Up to four sequences
- Assign one of 32 preset rhythms or create your own
- insert rests or legato (slide)
- Sequencer re-trigger function
- Adjust glide time
- Single trigger or re-trigger modes
- Integrate into step sequencer and arpeggiator
- USB bus powered
- 9V DC power supply included
- Maximum power consumption 9V DC 300mA
- 457mm (18”) width x 273mm (10.75”) depth x 76mm (3”) height