Leading a team of 5+ software engineers, this role will be central to our mission of delivering fantastic software for Focusrite and Novation products. Working closely alongside the Hardware, QA and Production Management teams, you will be supporting the delivery of our New Product Introduction (NPI), as well as maintaining existing products. You will also be involved with software development projects, as well as the evaluation and improvement of development processes and tools. You will help drive new product design, researching new product ideas and technologies.
As a team manager you will provide leadership and coaching, developing the team’s capability and productivity to meet the growing needs of the business, including activity planning, project approach review, technical mentorship and performance appraisals. You will also be involved with the recruitment of new software engineers.
This is a role with plenty of scope for development, and lots of opportunity for you to shape it and make your mark. We work in an exciting area, and our standards are high; you must ensure consistent excellence and reliability, and have outstanding managerial and people skills to engage well with multiple departments at all levels and develop your own team.
The successful candidate will have:
- Significant experience in consumer-focused software development, delivering high quality applications on Windows and OS X.
- Strong leadership skills to successfully manage and develop team of 5+, including activity planning, project approach review, technical mentoring, appraisals, 1:1 coaching, training and career progression planning.
- Demonstrable familiarity with audio concepts and the ability to think big, as well as offer insight into complex systems.
- The hands-on expertise to get properly involved, debugging the nastiest issues and optimising our product offering.
- A calm, capable approach to line management, with experience of coaching and supporting software engineers.
- The flexibility to fit in with stage-gate development as necessary, as well as familiarity with agile development techniques.
- Solid planning, resourcing and organisational skills, to carry out regular reviews of project and stage plans and effectively evaluate project progress.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree level qualification in software engineering.
- Substantial experience in both hands-on software engineering and as software engineering team manager.
- Demonstrable ability to use research and innovation to propose viable new product ideas and oversee development to make ideas happen.
- Proficiency in MSOffice, with excellent documentation and presentation skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Interest in music and the music industry, would be a significant advantage.